Ninja! Life in the sticks: We're Home!

Life in the sticks

My Kids: Thoughts about China, adoption & The Duke's of Hazzard

Sunday, November 20, 2005

We're Home!

Yes, we're home! I know it's been a while since I posted, but please forgive me :) it's been crazy!

We got home very early on Thursday, about 1:30am. Thanks to a three hour delay leaving Newark... the weather was quite bad (windy and rainy). In fact, coming into Newark there was quite a bit of turbulence and both the kids puked at just about the same time.

Nice.

The flight from Newark to Atlanta was crappy for me. I had the misfortune to move suddlenly in my seat and the movement disrupted the drink on the tray table attached to my seat. The woman behind me went bezerk. She started pushing my chair and yelling at me to put my seat up, and that I should have asked her before I moved my chair in case she had a drink that might spill. (Puh-lease!) Oh, and that she was going to pour a drink over my head. After nearly 30 hours of travelling I was in no mood for these childish antics and immediately hit the button to summon the flight attendant. She said that was a great idea. Apparently she thought they were going to tell me to put my seat up. Too bad for her! They told her they would get her another drink, but that I had the right to recline my seat if I wanted to. This, of course, set her off again and as soon as the flight attendant left she begin kicking my seat. To tell the truth, it felt kind of like a massage chair so I leaned back and payed no attention to her. People like that feed off your reactions, so my lack of further reaction was upsetting to her and finally she stopped.

We spent 16 days away from home and met the rudest people just around the corner. The folks working in Homeland Security in Newark also have a serious power trip going on...

So now that we're home, things are slowly improving. Charleigh's language skills are improving leaps and bounds. Just last night she said Bubba's name, drink, Mamaw, Grams, and Charleigh. One area that's suffered greatly is sleeping. In China she was wonderful about sleeping. Would go down with no problem, sleep all night and get up smiling. Now she screams going to sleep (nap or bedtime) and wakes up several times throughout the night screaming. We're still working to find the right combination of naps/bedtime/potty times etc. She also gets up in a fairly lousy mood. The times in between are great. She and Bubba are getting along pretty well, unless she knocks down his train... then he gets kinda put out.

She clearly still favors dad. I'm good for snot wiping and potty time, but if dad's around I'm obviously second best. Hopefully she'll start liking me better soon, or it's going to be a long 3 months till I go back to work!

I haven't gotten our pictures developed from the trip, still trying to sort out my mail and laundry.

Gotta give a shout out to my best most favorite sister in the world. She drove an hour and a half up to our house on the 16th and stocked my refridgerator and pantry with food. She's the best!!!! She left us sub sandwiches which we scarfed down at 2am on Thursday... :) It was SO nice not to have to worry about what to make for dinner the first couple of nights after we got home. SO THANK YOU SISTER!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

Hope to put up more pictures soon!

B

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Lisa~~ said…

    Welcome home!! We missed you last night at the bonfire and we all were wondering how you were doing and asking if anyone had heard from you yet. We are all anxiously waiting to meet Miss Charleigh but know that both you and she need to get yourselves on a good schedule. Hopefully she will adjust soon and life will settle into a good routine.
    Talk to you soon.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Lissa said…

    It took about 3 weekends (Just over 2 weeks) for Russell to graduate from potty taker/snot wiper to Daddy and he only saw her about 2 hours a day Monday-Thursday of that time. It will come...promise. She looks great. Your family looks great and I am thrilled for you. Welcome home!
    Lissa

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I know ALL ABOUT the sleep thing! I hope Charleigh sleeps through the night soon-Maggie still does not and neither do we. I have heard it is a common problem with our China girls-email me privately and I can tell you what has and hasn't worked (sort of) so far!

    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home