Ninja! Life in the sticks: We're in Beijing!!

Life in the sticks

My Kids: Thoughts about China, adoption & The Duke's of Hazzard

Thursday, November 03, 2005

We're in Beijing!!

At long last!!! Take me to Beijing!

Bubba Jr. finding the nearest exit on the 777, keeping in mind the nearest exit may be behind him.

Seeing the Marble Boat at the Summer Palace

View from Hotel room. This is during the day. It is SMOGGY here!


I can't believe we're finally here! This post is a little late as we actually arrived yesterday, but with the time change/jet lag we were too tired to do anything let alone try and figure out how to get on the Internet.

Today we went to the Summer Palace. It was really nice as the weather here is GREAT! Highs in the mid 60's. Of course all the Chinese babies we saw were totally covered up. Bubba Jr. had his picture taken numerous times. As soon as we would stop somewhere someone would come over and tug on his shirt so they could have their picture taken with him. The baby in the picture below was just as cute as a button and wearing split pants... if I could have taken a picture I surely would have!


At the Summer Palace I had my first experience with....


The Squatty Potty! EW! Make sure you bring your own TP!


After the Summer Palace we had a traditional Chinese lunch. We ate some meat that was tasty, though I'm not quite sure what it was. Then we had sweet and sour "fish." Which I really think was squid, but that's a fish right? After that came lotus slices marinated in orange juice. I passed on that. Then some spicy chicken (pretty good!) and some Rice (killer) and last egg drop soup. They sure don't make egg drop soup like this in the states!

Bubba Jr drinking Jasmine Tea at lunch. He really liked it! I think he was rolling his eyes at me because every 5 seconds I'm hollering for him to smile for the picture...

After lunch we had a foot massage. Now for those of you who know Clyde, you know foot massages "aint his thang" but he got one too, and I have proof!


(Sorry I don't know how to flip the pictures. Just turn your monitor on its side!)

This is from the Acrobat show. I'm telling you, if you get the chance to see this, DO it's great!


A couple of things about this picture. First off, he IS wearing gold trunks. I know the picture doesn't exactly look "family friendly," but trust me, he's got shorts on. Second, he "jumped" all the way down those little stairs on one hand. When he got to the bottom, he went all the way back up! It was really amazing to see the skills these people had!

Here's H with our guide, Water. He's cute as a button and just about the nicest person I've ever met. He's always saying "We do this, I think it is more better for you!" I never understood why people posted pictures of their guides. Well now I know. When you're 8000+ miles from home, your guide is your new best friend.

Ok, I guess that's all for today. Tomorrow we're going to the Great Wall, shopping and then to have famous Peking Duck for dinner.

B

Oh, here are some random pictures, from Halloween and such..


This is a blanket & an elephant one of my co-workers MADE for Charleigh. Aren't they beautiful?? The Chinese character on the blanket is "Fu," which means blessing and good fortune.

Hey! There's something in Charleigh's new hamper... only she's not even home yet! What could it be???

Happy Halloween from Batman and Guinevere.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I was so excited to see your post from China! YOU FINALLY MADE IT!!!!
    Congrats from the Wright family-we are jealous and wish we could travel with you-so we will have to communicate through our posts on your wonderful blog!

    Kelly, Gerry, Joey and Maggie Lin!

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    Whahoooooo! Welcome to China! Can't wait to read all about your adventures there.

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Lisa~~ said…

    So excited to see that you are finally there!!! I will be stalking, waiting for your next post.

     
  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    It's so exciting to see you posting from Beijing! I laughed when I saw the Marble Boat since I remember being so impressed until I learned that it's not actually floating and never did float!

    :)

    Can't wait to see what comes next!

    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home