Ninja! Life in the sticks: Family of Four!!!!!!!!!

Life in the sticks

My Kids: Thoughts about China, adoption & The Duke's of Hazzard

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Family of Four!!!!!!!!!

Well after waiting 570 days, we finally had our GOTCHA day today!

We flew in to Nanchang today, arriving at about 4 pm. We took about a 30 minute bus ride from the airport to the hotel. We found out on the bus ride that they were bringing the children to the hotel rather than having us going to the Civil affairs office.

I don't have a ton of time to write, so please forgive the brevity...

We waited outside the elevator doors while our guide went to the lobby to bring up the orphanage director, the nanny, and of course sweet Ms. Charleigh. Every time the elevator dinged my heart lept into my throat. Finally, the doors slide open and amid a gaggle of adults stood the sweetest little girl I've ever seen. She was wearing a bright yellow couderoy top and pants, a pretty little turtleneck and adorable white Mary Janes. They brought her out to us and Clyde and I tried to approach her smoothly so she wouldn't be too upset. She was very reserved with all these adults swarming around her. I tried some of my Chinese out, she looked at me like she halfway understood, but was wondering if I was really talking to her. The director and nannies definitely understood me!

They gave me a red scarf with handwritten information about Charleigh on it. They also gave her a small present (we haven't opened yet) and a red silk bundle I was told continued earth from outside her orphanage. We did get our camera and photo book back.

When the director and the nanny left they waved goodbye and Charleigh waved back. I'm sure she didn't realize the were actually leaving because when they stepped on the elevator without her she went BEZERK. I was expecting it, so I was ready. I walked her around, talked to her and finally in our room she was pushing me so hard I set her down to see what she would do. She ran right over to the door and was moaning for her "ayi" auntie (nanny). We all sat by the door with her while she wept for the people she missed. She allowed us to touch her, stroke her arms, back and head. After a while she took her shoes off and laid down on the floor. We laid down too and talked quietly to her and I sang the "Mama Hao" song.

And then we did some other stuff which you really don't want to read, I know you would rather I stuck a sock in it and posted the dang pictures already. So here goes:




Bubba Jr. and Charleigh konked out watching Mulan. Charleigh cried for a good 30-45 minutes, pretty hard. No wonder she was tired! In her left hand you can see her shoes she refuses to let anyone else touch, and in her left hand is a green sucker she won't eat, but held on to it.

Closeup - My baby has "Mamaw" hair!

BYE! I'm off to get some SLEEP!

B :)

9 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    AWWWWWWWHHH........
    She is so sweet! The greiving is pretty tough and hard to see them go through-hang in there you guys, I know our "harmonious" period was less than harmonious! Maggie is well adjusted now and LOVES her big brother and us-so time will heal!
    Has she let those shoes go yet? Poor baby!

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Daphne said…

    She is so beautiful! You guys are so blessed. I know this has to be a difficult time but it will only get better. Thoughts & prayers are with you.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Monica said…

    Charleigh is just beautiful! She & Bubba Jr. look adorable together. Thinking about you & wishing you the best through the grieving period. Happy Gotcha Day!

    MK

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Brandy, She's darling! I just love the way she is clutching her shoes. So thrilled that you finally have her and are a family of four at last!!

    Steph

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Stacy said…

    Woohoo!!Congratulations!! She is georgeous!!

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    What an amazing day! She's so precious! I love the words (the story!) as much as pictures. Congratulation to your whole (as in "complete") family!!

    :)

    Donna

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    Awwww, congratulations guys. I was so excited to read your story today. Best wishes tomorrow. :-)

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Yoli said…

    Beautiful and sad. I am glad she finally has her family. She is beautiful Brandy.

    Yoli

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Doug said…

    She is absolutely precious. I'm ready to board a plane and get our next one! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home