Ninja! Life in the sticks: I'm pretty sure if the CCAA reads this post, I'm toast.

Life in the sticks

My Kids: Thoughts about China, adoption & The Duke's of Hazzard

Monday, September 12, 2005

I'm pretty sure if the CCAA reads this post, I'm toast.

BAD MOM.

That's me. It started innocently enough. I thought I was being a good mom. But as the story unfolds you will see the truth.

*Scene* Beautiful Sunday afternoon in the North Georgia Mountains. We've been to church and prayed for the victims, survivors and heros from both 9-11 and Katrina, and we've put Charleigh in His care until the CCAA coughs up a travel approval. We've been to Moes , mostly because I still have a bunch of freebie coupons, oh and I'm in love with Fat Sam. So our hearts are full, bellies full, and we've headed home to enjoy the afternoon. That's where the trouble begins....

Bubba, "MOM! Can I play on the slip and slide???? PLEASE????? please please
please?????"
Me, "Sure. Ok."


Bubba slips and slides for nearly 2 hours. All the while I'm detailing my car, chatting with my dad, watching all the "WATCH THIS MOM!!!!!!!" 's that Bubba is hollering my way. Finally, I think it's time to be done with the slip and slide and call Bubba over. He runs over, happy as can be and that's when I notice... His entire upper body and thighs are covered with hives. He looks like

Well. He's hideous. Only in the illustration above one little section is inflamed. Bubba is covered. I freak. In this one moment I clearly remember the allergy test that was done about 2 months ago. Bubba is allergic to cats and

GRASS

HELLO??????

Is there anything between my ears or what? So I race inside knowing I have a prescription (not filled) for some kids allergy medicine, which when I received I tossed it to the side muttering, "Grass?? He's never had any problem with grass before. Heh!" Miracle upon miracles I find the prescription and race to that gigantic store that has everything from underwear to motor oil, pine nuts to MP3 players. We are literally running in the store. It's Sunday evening and if I can't get this dang prescription filled we're in trouble... We make it to the pharmacy with I'mnotkiddingyou like 3 minutes to spare. They weren't going to fill the prescription but the pharmacist took one look and him and visibly recoiled. Asked me what had happened and when I told her she filled the script. Lucky us!!! So of course I tear the package open and make him take the pill right there in the store.

We make our way home again and once there I feel Bubba should take a bath to cleanse his skin. By now the medicine is making him a little drowsy... so we do a quick sponge down and then Mr. Idon'tneedyourhelp attempts to get out of the tub. Slippery drowsy child + wet bathroom floor = disaster #2. His poor little body, which has already been through enough, goes spinning wildly out of control until his shoulder makes direct contact with the rim of the toilet. All systems are officially down.

So now he's bruised, hurt, hivey, wet and cold sobbing his little heart out in my lap on the wet bathroom floor. If there was a crying icon it would go here --->

Eventually we checked everything out and when we made sure his nose picking finger was ok we headed off to find pj's and put a stopper in this cruddy day. Three books later and one half awake goodnight kiss my sweet baby was finally getting some rest. I, on the other hand, went to check him every 30 minutes or so for a l-o-n-g time to make sure the hives were going down.

I'm happy to report that this morning the hives were gone. He was, however, the proud owner of one very ugly bruise on his shoulder blade.

Bonnie-boohoo-please don't turn me in for inadequate mom-ness : (


3 Comments:

  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Lisa~~ said…

    OMG,I am laughing and crying at your post. I am happy to hear that Bubba is better, but oh, the poor guy. I had to laugh at the allergic to grass bit, as that is me and I am too stupid to avoid it even after all these years. I think that you're safe with CCAA, no one here telling your tales.

    Lisa~~
    Our Journey to Baby Shanahan

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    Oh man, I'm so sorry but I am laughing at loud. Not at your poor sweetie, just at your hilarious post. Dang, that was so funny, especially the part about the nose-picking finger.

    Whew (wiping eyes). Take care, and hope Bubba is right as rain tomorrow morning.

    Love,
    Another member of the NFTP club (not fit to parent)

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Shana said…

    Crack me up! What a funny story! Poor Bubba! :(

    Btw- We are thinking of moving to GA- Shhhhh.. Don't tell anyone! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home